Implementing Clinical Skills and Clinical Research Video Platforms
Clinical Video Use Cases In Higher Education
Clinical video solutions have been deployed for many years in Higher Education. They are a proven tool to help educators teach clinical skills and perform clinical research. Use cases for clinical video applications are commonly found in psychology, counseling, speech pathology/communicative disorders, occupational therapy, physical therapy, nursing, behavioral disorders and much more.
Typical Procurement Has Been Outside of Central IT
Typically the video solutions that have been purchased for these clinical applications have been purchased at the department/school level. Rarely have the decisions escalated to the level of the CIO. The primary reasons for this are:
- Most video solutions users are departmental in nature. They are used in very specific clinical departments. They are not enterprise/shared applications used across the university.
- In the past the infrastructure required for these systems were often times analog based technologies which were confined to specific rooms/floors in specific buildings. These systems typically were not shared across departmental/school boundaries.
Problems Due To Lack of IT Governance
Because of the reasons above there was no need to elevate the decision making to a central IT group responsible for governance of shared applications and shared infrastructure. However; due to the fact that these applications have been left isolated without central governance from IT this has created several problems for many Universities. These problems include:
- Disparate Infrastructure – Because decision making has been left to independent departments/schools which often do not communicate there is a lack of standards in regards to which equipment is purchased. This creates a support and integration problem for many IT teams.
- Failed Deployments & Cost Overruns – There are numerous universities who have deployed video solutions for specific departments, investing hundreds of thousands of dollars in a solution, only to realize that the technology is completely unusable by the end user and at the same time unsupportable by IT. The result is that Universities have to replace the technology sooner and shorten the life cycle of the investment. This of course leads to increased costs.
- Unsecured Patient Data – In almost all cases these video solutions are being deployed in actual clinics that are being run by the university. Because of this the data that is being captured and managed is highly sensitive patient data which is protected by law by HIPAA privacy rule. This creates significant risk and exposure to the university if these systems that are being deployed on an adhoc basis are not properly managed and deployed using IT best practices and standards.
Opportunity and Benefits for a Standard Clinical Video Platform
With VALT from Intelligent Video Solutions central IT has the opportunity to get in front of these issues minimizing costs and risks while at the same time providing an easy to use platform for the departmental users dispersed throughout the university. VALT provides the following benefits:
- Standardized Hardware – VALT leverages industry standard Axis IP cameras. This equipment is adaptable to different types of applications yet provides a standard for IT to manage across the common university network.
- Proven Clinical Video Observation & Recording Solution – VALT has been built from the ground up specifically for clinical based applications. VALT has been deployed successfully across North America in many leading Universities for numerous clinical applications. VALT is quickly and easily deployed and adapted by the user base.
- Multi-layer Security for Best Practice Implementations – VALT provides numerous technologies to help universities secure critical patient data. These technologies include: full encryption of video and data, Full LDAP Integration, extensive user permissions which restrict users access to content and application features, access control, containers which isolate and separate departments/schools, and a robust audit tracking log.
- Lower Total Costs of Ownership – With VALT departments are able to leverage shared infrastructure and licensing agreements which reduces acquisition and ongoing support and maintenance costs over the solution lifecycle.
There is little doubt that the growth of skills based learning and clinical research will continue to grow in Higher Education. With this growth will come additional use cases for video observation and recording. Without a technology standard and strategy this growth will create cost and risks issues for the university and their IT teams who will be required to deploy and manage these systems. Intelligent Video Solutions and their VALT product offering provides a significant opportunity for the university CIO to provide a single platform for the university to address the needs of their clinical users and at the same time control costs and minimize risks.
For more information on Valt please visit the IVS website at ipivs.com